People spend plenty of time and effort learning coffee brewing techniques but all that effort can easily go to waste without proper storage.
It is great to have fresh coffee at home. In fact, it is a must-have in most American homes.
But the shelf life can become greatly reduced and the flavor diminished if coffee is exposed to air or sunlight.
To preserve its rich flavor, it is best to store coffee beans in a dark, air-tight container.
That’s why we’ve compiled this list of the best coffee storage container to help you keep your precious beans and grinds fresh for a long time.
Best Coffee Container
Veken Coffee Canister
Give your coffee beans enough room to breathe freely with Veken Coffee Canister.
The model comes with a specially designed one-way CO2 breather valve that keeps air and oxidation out of the container.
The buildup of CO2 from fresh coffee beans stored in containers can affect the taste of coffee.
The valves serve as one-way venting holes that allow the release of carbon dioxide while preserving the delectable aromatics of your coffee beans.
The canister is constructed using thick stainless steel material and an airtight lid.
The lid has a rubber seal to keep your coffee beans in a dark, sealed, and dry environment. The canister also features a quick-release clasp that allows you to easily lock and release the container.
The lid has a calendar wheel made of high-quality materials.
This feature helps you to keep an eye on the storage date and when you expect to consume the coffee, so it doesn’t become stale.
With the date tracker, you no longer need to worry about placing and changing labels with dates on your coffee container.
All of these features combine to make the Veken Coffee Canister the best container to store coffee and our top pick.
- Great build quality with high-quality, thick, stainless steel material and BPA-free silicone rubber seal.
- Built-in scale line to help you easily measure the quantity of coffee grind or beans in the container.
- Airtight sealed lid keeps your coffee shielded away from moisture, light, and oxygen.
- Impressive date tracker feature on the lid to help you monitor the storage or expiry date of your coffee.
- The coffee storage canister comes with a free stainless steel scoop that can easily attach to the hook.
- It comes with six breather valves (one-way CO2 valves), giving you plenty of spares to last for several years.
- Although the product comes with a user manual and has several pictures, there are no written instructions on how to open the lid and remove the breather valve.
- The date tracker can be a bit tricky to set, especially the month setting. But this is not a big issue since most people would have consumed their coffee within a couple of weeks.
- There is no instruction indicating when to change the CO2 valves.
The Veken coffee container with scoop is a good buy considering all its features.
Unlike glass or plastic containers, there is no fear of breaking or damaging this product, thanks to its durable stainless steel construction.
The elegant design looks good in any kitchen and it makes a great gift for family and friends, too!
Most of all, it offers an airtight sealing to keep your coffee fresh.
Star Coffee Container
Looking for a vacuum storage solution for your ground coffee? Star Coffee Container might be just what you are looking for.
The stainless steel container is constructed using the highest food-grade gunmetal steel. It has a vacuum lid and oxygen filters to preserve your coffee’s captivating flavor for a long time.
It has a wire clamp closure with a BPA-free rubber seal that ensures outstanding preservation.
The unmatched aroma that hits you each time you open the Star Coffee Container is proof that this container has excellent preservation quality.
|22 oz (coffee beans), 19 oz (ground coffee), 64 fl oz
- It is the best vacuum sealed coffee container, thanks to the oxygen-tight, vacuum lid.
- Well-built coffee container with scoop and four CO2 valve filters. Plus, the canister is covered with a fingerprint-resistant coating, making them look clean at all times.
- The scoop holds 30 ml of coffee and has a rubberized fastener on the canister.
- This canister has a large storage capacity for holding coffee beans that can produce up to 45 standard-sized cups and ground coffee that can make up to 65 standard-sized cups of enjoyable coffee.
- Includes inner measurement scale and date dial features for convenient use.
- The product comes with a downloadable 45-page eBook containing plenty of flavorful coffee recipes any avid coffee drinker would appreciate.
- The rubberized scoop may not last very long, and it may hold more coffee than some people would like.
- The bail clasp is thin, feels too sharp, and is less sturdy than the canister itself.
Consider this model if you prefer to grind your coffee beans before storage. It is arguably the best ground coffee storage container and holds a sizeable amount of coffee grinds.
The build quality is impressive, the airtight cover works great, and the accompanying eBook provides extra value.
Oggi Coffee Canister
The stylish coffee container by Oggi looks sleek on any counter!
Although it doesn’t cost anywhere near many of the best ground coffee container models available, it offers impressive preservation at a significantly low cost.
The canister is made from brushed stainless steel that will enhance the look of your kitchen. But most importantly, the light is airtight and features a locking clamp that’s easy to use.
You don’t have to open the container to see your coffee grounds or beans, thanks to the see-through lid design. That means fewer chances of air getting inside the canister.
This lid design also has a silicone gasket that ensures your coffee is kept fresh and dry.
|1,833 ml (62 fl oz)
- The Oggi Coffee Canister is a budget-friendly container. While it is nothing fancy, it is durable and will serve you for years to come.
- The container is easy to clean, thanks to its brushed stainless steel material.
- It has the word “coffee” elegantly and boldly written on the canister, making it easy to identify, especially if you have similar-looking containers on your pantry.
- The container is lightweight, making it effortless to convey between surfaces in your kitchen.
- Although the container itself is durable, the closure is fragile and can break easily.
- There are several complaints regarding the capacity being considerably less than 62 fluid ounces.
Oggi’s model is worth considering if you don’t have a ton of money to spare but still want the best container for coffee.
Of course, you shouldn’t expect to get extra features such as a date tracker, CO2 valves, and bonus scoop with this container.
However, it does what it is designed to do – and that’s keeping your coffee fresh for a long time.
iwoxs Large Stainless Steel Coffee Canister
This coffee container is sleek, stylish, and comes with plenty of extras you’ll find in other more expensive models.
In addition to an airtight cover and date tracker on the lid, the iwoxs Large Stainless Steel Coffee Canister also has a measuring scoop, transparent viewing window, easy-seal clasp, and plenty of CO2 gas vent valves.
The dark gray color and quality stainless steel material provide a sealed, dark, and dry environment for storing and preserving the freshness of your coffee beans.
|Silicone, Stainless Steel, Rubber
|1,800 ml (60 fl oz)
- It comes with a stainless steel scoop with a nonslip, rubberized handle to help you measure your preferred portion.
- Transparent window on the canister makes it easy to gauge the content level and add up when necessary.
- This coffee container has five replacement CO2 valves; that’s enough to last for several years.
- The coffee canister features two additional non-CO2 discharge sealing valves for storing dried fruits and grains.
- The sleek and attractive canister can be used to store a variety of food items.
- There are no written instructions, so it might be tricky figuring out how to use the valves, especially if you’re not familiar with the feature.
- The hinge or latching system feels a bit flimsy and might not be durable.
With the iwoxs Large Stainless Steel Coffee Canister, you can get a bunch of extras without spending too much money on the best coffee container.
It may not be perfect but it is easy to use, sturdy and is a large coffee container that can keep your coffee fresh for a couple of weeks.
ZYD Coffee Canister
Don’t let the seemingly simple design of the ZYD Coffee Canister fool you.
It has an airtight sealing lid that opens and closes with a single touch of a button. The one-way CO2 valve keeps oxygen and moisture out and freshness in.
While this large coffee container is made from glass, it is not just any type of glass.
The container is constructed from hand-blown borosilicate glass, making it a very durable container.
But just in case you get a broken canister upon delivery, ZYD will be more than happy to provide a replacement for you or refund your money.
|23 oz (coffee beans), 19 oz (ground coffee), 1,700 ml
- Patented pop-up lid design for easy opening and closing of the canister.
- The cover has a bevel silicone sealing design to keep the container completely airtight.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty as proof of the product’s premium quality.
- You can use it to store multiple food items, including coffee beans and grounds, sugar, salt, nuts, a variety of spices, and more.
- The bottom rubber ring comes off easily, especially when moving it in and out of the kitchen cupboard.
- It is very transparent and doesn’t offer protection against light. So, it is not an ideal container to keep in on the shelf or any environment that is exposed to light.
We recommend you go with this option if you are in the market for a large coffee container. The lid design makes it convenient to use without worrying about screwing it shut each time.
However, if you choose this coffee container, be sure to keep it out of the reach of children. Indeed, the glass is durable but it is still glass and needs to be handled with care.
Coffee Container FAQ
What kind of container should I store coffee in?
Not all containers are good for storing your coffee beans.
The best coffee bean container is completely airtight. Thankfully, many of these are very affordable.
Any container that can offer protection against moisture, air, excessive light, and temperature extremes is great for storing your coffee.
Whether your coffee is in beans or ground form, it can quickly lose its enjoyable flavor if you expose it to any of these elements.
What is the best way to store coffee?
The goal of storing coffee is to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
Coffee is an organic product, meaning it can lose its flavor and become stale over time, especially if you don’t store it properly.
The best way to store coffee is as whole beans. This way, you will conserve more of its enchanting flavor when you grind it just before use.
Here are some other factors to keep in mind when storing your coffee to preserve its delightful flavor:
The ideal temperature for storing coffee beans is room temperature.
Make sure to keep the coffee in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing coffee in freezing or hot temperatures.
Fridges, next to a stove, above a cooktop, and on a high shelf are not ideal places to store coffee beans since these spots have extreme temperatures.
It is best to buy just enough coffee that you can consume within two to three weeks if you want the product to retain its freshness.
Keep in mind the coffee beans may have been sitting on the shelf for a long time after roasting. And coffee starts to lose its freshness right after roasting.
For this reason, you’re better off buying coffee beans in small quantities and storing them correctly.
Oxidation speeds up when coffee beans are exposed to moisture and that can lead to quick deterioration.
For this reason, it is best to store your coffee away from moisture sources, such as your espresso machine, kettle, sink, and anywhere where it can be exposed to steam and water splashes.
Exposure to sunlight and artificial light will make the oil in your coffee go bad very quickly.
Dark places are the best for storing coffee beans. Opaque containers, inside the pantry, or your kitchen drawer are good examples.
Can you store coffee in Tupperware?
Yes, you can store coffee in Tupperware containers.
They are not perfect, though, because a tiny amount of air can still get in. However, Tupperware containers are better than re-sealable bags.
If you use Tupperware, make sure to consume the coffee in about a week or two.
Does freezing coffee keep it fresh longer?
Your fridge or freeze is not an ideal storage location for your coffee beans. That’s because coffee absorbs moisture, tastes, and any odor in its surrounding environment.
Freezing your coffee exposes it to freezer burn. Also, it will eventually taste like any other foods you have in your freezer, including fish! And that’s not something you want.
Here’s another thing to keep in mind.
Taking your coffee out of the fridge or from a freezing condition to room temperature and back to the fridge each time you use the product can cause moisture to develop.
The fluctuation in temperature will create moisture and spoil your precious coffee beans.
Lastly, freezing coffee will solidify the beans’ oil and its flavor. This is not good for extraction during brewing.
However, freezing is not entirely bad for coffee beans.
You can freeze whole coffee beans for up to a month but you must not remove them from the freezing setting throughout the period.
When you eventually take out the frozen beans, make sure to thaw them by leaving them on a shelf.
For best results, grind and consume the coffee within two weeks.
As you probably know by now, not all containers are created equal.
The best coffee storage container should protect your coffee from oxygen, sunlight, moisture.
But even the best coffee bean container should be kept away from extreme temperatures and temperature fluctuations.
This will ensure your coffee stays fresh and retain as much of its delectable taste as possible.
Last Updated on November 1, 2021 by nihar