You can’t grind beans without a coffee grinder. So for those coffee lovers who enjoy working for their reward, the best manual coffee grinder is on the cards.
Of course, you can go for an electric grinder, but you have more control when using the best manual burr coffee grinder.
Please browse through our mini-review to select a manual coffee bean grinder that meets expectations.
Next, go through the FAQs to find out why these manual coffee grinders are so great. Then choose a product to complement your passion for coffee.
Our reviews unpack two particular specifications–capacity and material of the manual coffee bean grinder.
Some equipment covers the best manual Turkish coffee grinder, while other discussions revolve around French Press and AeroPress coffee grinders.
As you go through the reviews, you will gather information from the pros and cons to get a better idea of what type fits your lifestyle.
Combine this information with that in the FAQs section, and you have a comprehensive view of what the best coffee grinder manual is all about.
Best Manual Coffee Grinder – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
The one thing about manufacturers of the best manual burr coffee grinders is that they know what they’re doing.
No surprise there as they must cater to customer demand and expectations if they want to sell their products.
This JavaPress, best manual burr coffee grinder is no different. Immediately on viewing the product, it just screams “quality.”
Once you get past how attractive this best manual coffee grinder is, you can swipe through the images.
These images tell their own story of just how much design effort has gone into making this product.
Not only does this best coffee grinder manual look good–it is clearly effective.
Before continuing with our impressions, let’s look at the specs and the pros and cons of this beauty.
|Flavor||Brushed Stainless Steel|
The price is less than half that of comparable grinders, with customers raving about its quality.
Furthermore, should you be unfortunate enough to receive a faulty product, you can get your money back–no questions asked.
But if you want to take a leap of faith, then this best manual coffee grinder for French Press improves the coffee’s taste.
Also, the container fits nicely into the AeroPress, ensuring added convenience, no matter how you like to brew your coffee.
- Ideal for use with AeroPress, drip coffee, and the best manual coffee grinder for French Press.
- Eighteen manual settings to customize your beans, including coarse, medium, and superfine, which is perfect for making espresso. You have total control over just how fine you want your coffee grounds.
- Conical burr mill has a patent and works perfectly for grinding whole coffee beans to size.
- You do not need power or batteries to run this best manual coffee grinder, making it the first choice for camping, outdoor activities, and traveling.
- Only grind enough coffee for one cup to ensure you extract maximum flavor and preserve bean freshness for your next cup of coffee.
- Low noise volume, unlike the typical electric coffee grinder.
- Conveniently portable, no plugs, cords, or power are needed to operate this best manual coffee grinder.
- Generous 100% guarantee of your money back if you are not satisfied with this product, which shows manufacturer confidence in the quality of this product.
- Customer service is excellent, which is a good combination with the 100% money-back guarantee, which supports the good intentions of this brand.
- It can take from five to 10 minutes of grinding to get fine enough coffee for several espressos.
- The bottom container can slip off quite easily when using this manual coffee grinder.
- One customer complained that they received a faulty product with internal mechanisms that were loose.
HEIHOX Hand Coffee Grinder
When you want coffee quickly, the Heihox best manual coffee grinder is a definite option.
The grinder works efficiently, and the manufacturer even tells you which dial setting it takes to produce the perfect ground size.
So, if you love exotic coffees, this is the best manual Turkish coffee grinder for you.
Otherwise, you can grind your beans to size for a quick pour-over coffee or espresso.
Of course, if you have an AeroPress or French Press, the Heihox also works well for these machines.
|Flavor||Stainless Steel Burr Mill|
Two shaft bearings create greater stability, and the rubber seal has been replaced with screws to secure it better.
Because this product consists of stainless steel rather than plastic parts, it is durable, ensuring many years of use.
As one of the best manual burr coffee grinders on the market, you can’t go far wrong–a sentiment shared by many happy customers.
- The conical shape of the coffee grinder makes it easy to hold and turn to turn beans into grounds rapidly.
- The stainless-steel burr mill ensures that this product is durable, making it ideal for long-lasting coffee for years to come.
- Twenty-four adjustable grinding settings allow you to grind your coffee to taste whether you want smooth or coarse ground.
- Twenty-three to 24 turns of the adjustment mechanism make this the best manual coffee grinder for French Press. Turn the dial to between 15 and 22 for the perfect cup of pour-over coffee. The six to 12 setting produces a fine ground for espresso.
- This product is easily portable to conveniently carry it with you to the office, outdoor activities, and home.
- Quick disassembly ensures quick cleaning so that you always work with hygienic equipment.
- Effective quality checks maintain that this product lasts up to five times longer than the best coffee grinder manual with a standard blade grinder.
- Heihox provides a one-year warranty and excellent customer support to put your mind at ease when buying this product.
- One customer noticed that the dial setting for ground size constantly slips.
- Another complaint is that this best manual coffee bean grinder does not produce a uniform ground as advertised.
- The center shaft wobbles a bit, which may be part of the reason why the coffee grounds are not uniform–either that or this unlucky customer received a faulty product.
Akirakoki Manual Grinder
Many coffee drinkers prefer the warmth of wood rather than the cold, clinical feel and appearance of stainless steel.
If you’re a wood lover, then this best manual coffee grinder from Akirakoki should fit the bill.
This manual coffee bean grinder design includes a hinged lid, which makes it easier to load.
Besides an excellent build design, this coffee bean grinder is also multipurpose.
You can use it to grind seeds, nuts, and anything else that you need refining.
Another selling point is that this best coffee grinder manual is cost-effective and robust.
|Flavor||Cast iron and brown wood|
The price is easy on the pocket, and you can order this product in a wood color of your choice.
The flip lid and ergonomic grinding crank are conveniently simple to use, but grinding can be tedious.
So, check the other products in our review before deciding on the right product for regular use.
- Rustic aesthetic appeal due to the combination of wood and cast-iron fits well with country-style kitchens and lifestyles.
- The hand crank is exceptionally sturdy, allowing for a firm grip when grinding the beans to the desired size.
- An adjustable screw setting on the base of this best manual coffee grinder for AeroPress means you control your coffee flavor.
- The price is competitive and in line with what you might expect from a lower-end brand that produces consistently good quality products.
- A convenient assembly and disassembly method means you can keep this equipment clean and hygienic no matter what you choose to grind. Remember, too, that the heat you generate when grinding coffee beans extracts even more flavor, making this an excellent choice for a manual coffee bean grinder.
- As with other best manual burr coffee grinders, you can conveniently carry this Akirakoki with you on picnics, camping, hiking, hunting, or any other outdoor activity.
- Not everyone has the muscle power or the patience to use one of the best manual coffee grinder machines, so be forewarned–hand grinding can be challenging.
- The adjustment settings can be tricky, to begin with as you must remove the handle and reassemble before grinding beans to taste.
- The finer grounds are more uniform than, the coarser setting, according to one customer.
1Zpresso JX Manual Coffee Grinder
One of the biggest reasons you should consider 1Zpresso’s JX coffee grinder is its unique burr.
It comes with 48mm stainless steel conical burrs. These are not just big burrs but also aggressive and durable ones.
The result is an incredibly fast manual grinder – faster than most manual grinders on the market and it does that more consistently, too!
It can grind about 25 grams of coffee in approximately 35 seconds or even less.
|Material||Aluminum with stainless steel conical burr|
|Size||35g capacity, 5.12 x 2.24 x 6.22 inches|
|Color||Light gray with a black band|
- The JX model is incredibly fast for a manual grinder; approximately grinding one gram of coffee per second.
- Great build quality. It comes in a sleek, modern look, giving it an appealing aesthetic.
- The wooden handle knob is comfortable in the hand and the wide band around the grinder allows for an excellent grip.
- It features two top-of-the-line bearings for ultra-smooth spinning action.
- The grinder offers a wide range of adjustments with complete accuracy control.
- Disassembling and reassembling the machine is pretty straightforward. You don’t need any tools to get the job done. This makes it easy to clean the grinder more regularly. Plus it comes complete with a free cleaning brush.
- The machine is covered by 1Zpresso’s one-year limited warranty, so you can shop confidently.
- This grinder is rather on the larger side. Fitting it insider your small traveling bag might be a bit of a challenge.
- A firm grip might be difficult if your hands are on the smaller side or if you have arthritis.
- It is a bit pricey, so it is not your best pick if you’re in the market for a budget-friendly manual grinder.
- You may find the instructions rather complicated if it is your first time using a manual grinder.
Porlex Jp-30 Coffee Grinder
Porlex is a Japanese company that focuses on making food grinders.
With so much experience in this industry, it is no surprise that this best manual coffee grinder is so popular.
The stainless-steel body is static-free, and the burrs are ceramic.
Using the best manual coffee grinder for AeroPress ensures you gain even more flavor from your cup of coffee as the heat of grinding helps extract flavorful oils from the beans.
Many consumers report the difference in flavor between electric coffee grinders and the manual version.
You can test this statement for yourself when you purchase this product.
Also, if you’re not exceptionally patient or fail to plan your coffee drinking routine, grinding coffee with the best manual burr coffee grinder can be frustrating.
On the opposite side of the coin, the best manual coffee grinder delivers far more flavor than an electric grinder.
So if the thought of a tastier brew appeals to you, this product should do the trick.
Another feature of this product is that it delivers value for money, which is always beneficial when you’re a major coffee fan.
- Ground coffee tastes great when using this best manual burr coffee grinder, as you can do fine or coarse ground.
- An internal spring ensures that your coffee grounds are consistent in shape, making for a tastier brew.
- Ceramic conical burrs are simple to clean. These burrs will also never rust, and neither will the stainless-steel shell of this manual coffee bean grinder.
- Ideal for use in the home or outdoors when hiking or hunting as it is conveniently portable.
- You can easily fit this product into your AeroPress for added convenience.
- An excellent feature of this best manual coffee grinder for French Press is the handle and shaft design. Because of the practical design, the handle shouldn’t separate when cranking.
- One customer claims that this best coffee grinder manual works better than any electrical product they’ve ever used.
- A customer ordered this product only to find that it was made in China and looked different from the one that is advertised.
- Another consumer said that the ceramic parts broke into three pieces when grinding their coffee beans. However, as another customer explains, coffee beans can contain small stones. Therefore, if you feel something is “off” when grinding, stop, check, and remove any stones that will break the burrs.
- If your hands are weak, it can be a major mission to grind your coffee. However, if you’re prepared to stick with it and strengthen your hands, you’re in for a treat with the best manual coffee grinder.
Zassenhaus Santiago Grinder
Unlike the conical best manual coffee grinders in this mini-review–this product has a squarish shape.
This shape means that the grinder is stable on any flat surface, making it easier to hold in place with one hand while grinding with the other.
But, again, this issue is unlike the other coffee grinders, which may be more comfortable to keep close to your body while cranking the handle.
We also like the natty grinding mechanism of this manual coffee bean grinder together with the small draw that holds the grounds.
What appears to be fewer moving parts and a solid build bodes well for a lifelong coffee grinding companion.
|Flavor||Carbon Steel, Beech Wood|
You will also find it to be the best manual Turkish coffee grinder that requires the finest grounds.
The build design is practical yet pleasingly aesthetic, and from a practical perspective, it is one of the best manual coffee grinders available.
German engineering is genuinely admirable, even in something as simple as this manual coffee bean grinder.
Customers can buy this product for its efficiency, price, and appearance and know that it will be as durable as any other product on the market.
- This product is made from beautiful beech wood with a durable varnish, which aesthetic is especially pleasing.
- The best manual burr coffee grinder consists of conical burrs made from robust, high-grade tool steel. This material ensures a lower build-up of heat while cranking the grinder. It also means that there is less transfer of heat to the beans.
- You can adjust the settings to produce a suitable size with this best manual Turkish coffee grinder.
- Because the grounds collect in the small drawer, they are easier to store or remove any time you want an extra brew.
- You can grind and store enough grounds in this manual coffee bean grinder for up to six cups of coffee at a time.
- The German manufacturing company is so confident that they provide a warranty for mechanical defects for 25 years. This feature is evidence of superb quality.
- Grinder size settings rely on experience as these are unclear.
- If you want a uniform, finer ground suitable for Turkish coffee, you will either need to crank longer or use a mortar and pestle. That is if you aren’t satisfied with the fine ground that this product produces.
- This best manual Turkish coffee grinder comes in at under $100, and despite the warranty, the customer service for parts replacements may be less than satisfactory.
Hario “Skerton Plus” Ceramic Manual Coffee Grinder
Hario is Japanese for “The King of Glass,” and this brand lives up to that reputation.
This Skerton Plus model is an improvement over the previous version, meaning it offers a more uniform grind and increased efficiency.
This model features a stepped grinding adjustment mechanism that is pretty straightforward to use and change.
It comes with a nonslip silicone base that keeps the grinder in place during grinding and also protects the glass ground receptacle.
|Material||Glass with ceramic conical burrs|
|Size||8 x 4 x 5 inches|
- Excellent pick for a budget-friendly grinder. While it is very affordable, the machine is well built with durable parts.
- Improved overall design eliminates wobble. The burr stabilization plate and grind shaft are now stronger, making for a more uniform grind.
- The nonslip rubber base ensures the mill stays put during the grinding process.
- The crank handle is ergonomically designed and provides a nice solid feeling. This makes it easier to grind as you can use apply more force.
- The handle is detachable so you can store it more conveniently.
- This is a rather bulky grinder, so it is not an ideal option if you’re looking for a portable model.
- The glass ground receptacle makes the grinder unsuitable for travel or camping, as it can crack or shatter, regardless of the silicone nonslip bottom.
- Making a coarse grind can be a bit too difficult.
The Skerton Plus model should be on your radar if you are looking for the best budget manual coffee grinder.
The King of Glass offers this cheaper model without sacrificing quality.
It offers plenty of bang for the buck and is an excellent way to test the waters if you are just getting into the world of manual coffee grinders.
To crown it all, the grinder is quite large.
Even though it is not the fastest manual grinder out there, it is a solid pick if you want to churn out up to three or four cups of coffee at once.
Manual Coffee Grinder FAQs
With the mini-reviews behind us, we turn to the FAQs section. Here, we examine several differences between manual and electric grinders.
We also investigate what to look for in a manual coffee grinder so that you can make the best purchasing decision.
Other concerns include how long the best manual coffee grinder lasts and how long it takes to grind coffee with this equipment.
Mini-reviews are one part of the equation when making a purchase decision. Improve your knowledge by going through these FAQs to add to this knowledge.
Are manual coffee grinders better?
Manual coffee bean grinders are better in several ways than their electric counterparts.
First, it is a quick process to grind beans for one person using the best manual burr coffee grinder.
However, if you need to make coffee for several people, the electric grinder is faster.
When purchasing the best manual coffee grinder, ensure that the parts are robust.
The biggest drawback of the manual grinder is the cranking. Get a handle (pun intended) on this aspect, and the brew tastes distinctly better than ground beans that come out of an electric grinder.
Besides these benefits, the price of the best manual coffee grinder for French Press also delivers a more consistent grind result.
What should I look for in a manual coffee grinder?
One of the most critical aspects of the best manual coffee grinder is the quality of its parts.
Because these grinders require quite a lot of manual labor and maneuvering, they are subject to a lot of wear and tear.
Therefore, always ensure that the best manual coffee grinder for AeroPress that you buy is manufactured with quality materials.
Look for a manual coffee bean grinder that uses stainless steel, wood, cast iron, or high-grade tool steel.
Ensure that the manufacturer provides a money-back guarantee, and you can get a replacement if it breaks within the warranty period.
If the burrs are ceramic rather than metal, be careful to check for stones in the coffee beans, as these can break the burrs.
Also, consider reading customer reviews to learn about their experiences with the product before placing your order.
How long does a manual coffee grinder last?
You can expect the best coffee grinder manual to last for at least five to seven years on average.
This average lifespan is typical even with daily use of the grinder. However, the brand’s quality makes a huge difference in the life expectancy of this type of product.
Other considerations that impact the lifespan of the best manual coffee grinder are the quality of the coffee beans you use, the level of roasting, stones in the mixture, and the size of the grind.
Additional issues that impact the longevity of this product type include how finely and how regularly you use a refined ground.
How long does it take to grind coffee with a manual burr grinder?
Even with the best manual burr coffee grinder, you can expect to grind coffee for at least 45 seconds for one to three cups of coffee.
If you want exceptionally fine espresso grounds, you might be grinding beans for between five and 10 minutes.
Depending on the quality of the product, you may need to reduce or lengthen this period.
Also, the volume of coffee beans you grind at one time will affect how long you need to grind them.
The best coffee grinder manual will give you at least three coffee scoops in two to three minutes of grinding.
Ultimately, the quality of the grinder will determine how long it takes to grind the beans.
Your stamina and persistence will also determine how long you need to grind the beans, so be patient as this process is worth the effort.
How fine should I grind my coffee for AeroPress?
Consider a grind size between medium and fine should be great for Aeropress.
However, the flavor you want to get from the coffee beans will determine whether you should use medium or fine size grind, or whether you should use an extra-fine grind.
Keep in mind that the method you adopt while pushing water through the machine will ultimately influence the resulting taste.
Finding the best manual coffee grinder is a matter of looking out for an option with good construction material, excellent build quality, and an easy-to-use design.
These characteristics will ensure durability and efficiency.
Of course, aesthetic appeal is a matter of personal preference but it is important to choose a shape and color that you like.
Thankfully, the manual coffee grinders on this list check the most important features to look out for.
So, we invite you to go ahead and confidently take your pick.
Last Updated on March 29, 2022 by Ashok Parmar